Apologies for the long post. I get a bit caught up when making clothes so there aren't as many photos of the process as i'd want.
I started by wrapping the padded armature in cling film, then the cling film in masking tape. Lines were then drawn on the tape to represent cut/seam lines.
These pieces were then cut off of the character so that Richard's clothes fit as perfectly as they can.
I then repeated the same process for the shirt.
Once the pattern pieces were cut from navy blue fabric, they were sewn together, making sure to wait until all four pieces were sewn together by hand before the top was folded over itself and hemmed to make sure it was all at the same level.
They were then flipped inside out and hey presto, traaaaaasers!
In my design, i wanted a striped pattern for Richards shirt. As it was difficult to find a pattern small enough for stop motion, i decided to make my own! Keeping it really basic, a felt tip pen and a ruler! Accuracy was not my main focus as i like the hand built look of inaccuracy.
The pattern pieces were then hemmed and sewn together before putting the sleeves in.
Again the sleeves were hemmed first and then sewn into the shirt. (apologies for the photo quality)
Now onto the collar! On reflection, with the thickness of the fabric it would've been tidier to just do a simpler collar. It was done by creating four separate pieces that were sewn together and turned inside out.
It was then a complicated and fiddly process of turning the non pattern pieces in on themselves and sewing it all together simultaneously.
Then on to the bow tie!, it was done in a similar way to everything else. Sewn around the entire edge then turned inside out through a cut down the middle of the back.
Once inside out, I glued a small strip of fabric to remove the frayed edges and wrapped it around the hourglass shape of the bow tie.
And here he is! I made some buttons out of small sewing pins painted pink to hold everything in place but still allow me to get into the joints.
Thats all for now! Roy next.