I got a little carried away when i was making props so the amount of progress photos is limited.
I started by making the mannequins. I wanted to have a few dotted around the tailors cutters and due to the style of my film it didn't matter if they weren't exactly identical. Also in order to keep the hand built feel of everything, I decided to make as many of the props as physically possible out of wood, balsa or other.
The fact that everything could look slightly different/off meant that i could churn out four mannequins incredibly quickly.
On to the broom! Being the incredibly professional person i am when it comes to my blog, this is the only photo of the broom in production. That and the fact that I used super glue to attach real broom bristles meant that my hands were gluey, therefor i didn't want to use my phone.
I also wanted to make tiny wooden sewing machines. again it wasn't important to keep items identical meaning i could make then quickly
After a little bit of sanding, a few more buttons and the bottom of a pin i had this! A quick paint job (which of course i didn't photograph until it was finished) I had a sewing machine! I then made three more.
This is when things went a little hazy with photos.
Then this happened, I made a LOT of stuff, pretty damn quickly. All very similar in technique, the two desks and cabinet were made out of a more solid wood than balsa so that it wouldn't snap when thin.
You can just about see the mannequins and sewing machines fully painted. also on the far left there are rolled pieces of fabric, some wrapped around wooden dowel
In order to paint the props I used very watered down acrylic paint as a base colour to get rid of the raw balsa wood. I then used a dry acrylic brush to age everything and generally rough it all up.
I then regained photo taking consciousness and started making chairs. with the more solid wood to again be more stable. The four pieces of balsa wood are to stabilise the legs.
LEGS! these were slightly stable but still not enough,
I've added some extra supports across the middle to make the legs more sturdy.
And the two backs! the gaps between each are big enough to fit a rig through to go into the back of Richard when he's sat down.
I then made another as close to the same as possible but again it not being important if they are slightly off. Again, i used a watered down acrylic paint to colour the wood before 'scumming it up' again.
Last but not least the clock!
I started by making the frame out of balsa wood and the back of it out of the thicker solid wood.
I then took it into photoshop and erased the middle in order to design my own in roman numerals.
Initially taking a photo from google so that i knew exactly where each number would be....
I took this image into Illustrator and used the path tool create my own at the exact size. This was then printed off, stuck to the solid wood and drilled through so that a nail could be used as the centre.
The set'll be next at some point over the next week! Watch this space.